CHALLENGES FOR A NEW DECADE
The following steps will be taken to ensure overall and long term development of Assam in order to make it one of the top-ranking developed, prosperous and peaceful states in the country:
1. Congress has the vision to create a vibrant and resurgent Assam. Our party took over the administration of the state in 2001 with an overdraft of more than Rs. 500 crore and unpaid outstanding liabilities including employees’ salaries, amounting to more than Rs. 2000 crore. Even after liquidating all these overdrafts and outstanding liabilities, our Government could still mobilize enough resources to facilitate overall development of the state during the last ten years.
2. Pursue a sustained growth rate of 10 percent over the next 2-3 decades to catch up with the most developed states in the country;
3. Although economic inequality is low when compared to the rest of the country, we will adopt a policy of comprehensive and effective development programmes to further reduce poverty and economic inequality in Assam;
4. Continue with the ongoing efforts to solve the flood and erosion problem through application of latest technologies and scientific management practices;
5. Continue with efforts for all insurgent and militant groups to lay down arms, eschew violence and join the mainstream. An effective and generous rehabilitation package will be adopted for benefit of surrendered militants;
6. Target for agriculture sector growth rate will be fixed at 6 to 8 percent per year;
7. Efforts will be stepped up to attract more investment to remove infrastructure deficiency by 2016 in order to enable accelerated economic development;
8. Attain self-sufficiency in power generation and modernisation of the transmission and distribution (T&D) systems;
9. Invest heavily in health and education sectors. Private sector investment will also be welcomed in these sectors, if necessary. Our goal is that the Human Development Index (HDI) of Assam can match those of advanced states of the country within the next 10 years;
10. Ambitious steps will be undertaken for skill development, expansion of professional education and solving of unemployment problem through creation of self-employment opportunities as well as institutional support. Special emphasis will be given on medium, small and microenterprises particularly traditional crafts and cottage industries in rural areas;
11. Special steps will be taken to preserve our rich bio-diversity and environment in the backdrop of global climate change.